A Victorian Volunteer Force, 1837 -1899
On her accession in 1837, Queen Victoria appointed her uncle, The Duke of Sussex, to be the Company’s ‘Captain-General and Colonel’, combining these two positions for the first time.
In 1848, during a period of revolution in Europe and the Chartist riots in England, concern in government circles about the allegiance of the Regiment and the security of its guns led to the issue of a royal warrant in 1849. This ordered that all of the Company’s officers were to be appointed by the Crown. In 1888, a dispute over the control of the military element of the Company resulted in the more significant royal warrant of 12th March 1889. This transferred responsibility for the military side to the War Office, whilst safeguarding the Company’s civil privileges.
In 1853, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke of Saxony (Captain-General and Colonel) presented new carriages and limbers for the guns of the Artillery Division, which became the Field Battery. The Horse Artillery Troop (Jay’s Troop) was active between 1860 and 1869. A squadron of Light Cavalry was formed in 1861 and converted into the Horse Artillery Battery in 1890. An artillery reorganisation in 1899 created A Battery and B Battery from the old horse and field artillery batteries.