The Regiment Since 1946
In 1947 the Company was re-organised into an Infantry Battalion and two Royal Artillery regiments, 1st (HAC) Regiment RHA (with self-propelled artillery) and 2nd (HAC) Regiment RA (mobile heavy-antiaircraft artillery); the latter regiment was disbanded in 1955. G Locating Battery operated between 1947 and 1961 and the wartime Cadet Battalion, which had been re-formed in 1947, was disbanded in 1958. By 1961, 1st Regiment comprised A, B and C Batteries and the Infantry Battalion had four companies.
Further changes occurred in 1967 when the Territorial Army became the Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve
(TAVR). This resulted in the HAC’s 1st Field Regiment becoming three stand-alone artillery units of A, B and C Batteries, whilst the Infantry Battalion’s four companies became the Grenadier, Yager and Light Companies.
In 1973 the Regiment was re-organised as four patrol squadrons, fielding two operational squadrons for the British Army of the Rhine and two home defence squadrons. In addition, a Gun Troop was formed in 1974 to provide artillery expertise within the Regiment. The TAVR returned to its old designation as the TA in 1980 and in 1985 the HAC’s squadrons were reduced to three, with a Headquarter Squadron (formed in 1983).
The Home Service Force sub-units operated between 1985 and 1994. In 1992, the Regiment became part of NATO’s Allied Rapid Reaction Corps. In 2004, the Gun Troop was disbanded and replaced by a Liaison Troop. At the end of 2010, the Signal Squadron (formed in 1994) was disbanded and its signalling expertise was absorbed into the three patrol squadrons.